Subject: Re: [Leica] Plastic Aspheric Lens Elements
From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 20:47:10 -0700

The Noct-Nikkor was indeed hand ground.  The one and only guy who was
responsible for making the aspherical front element retired years ago, and
the production ceased several years ago.  It is still listed on Nikon USA's
catalogue, but it was taken out of the Nikon Japan catalogue about a couple
of years ago.

Several Japanese publications such as Asahi Camera have stated that Hoya
supplies moulded aspherical elements to Leica.

> Leica uses glass in its ASPH lenses.  They *may* use plastic in their
> 'lower' priced Japanese made zooms, though I am not sure of this.  Nikon
> certainly uses plastic resin elements in some of its aspherica zooms.  I
> suspect that their 50/1.2 Nocti uses glass.  Not sure about Canon or
Zeiss.