Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: E. Adams & Vietnam Photo
From: "Claes Bjerner" <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:30:56 +0200

Paul Schiemer wrote:
> There was mild controversy surrounding the excising of a single frame from
> footage shot by a correspondent in Spain (I'm pretty sure it was Spain). It
> showed two soldiers, one standing & one kneeling. The standing soldier was
> motioning toward the photographer, the kneeling one was aiming his rifle at
> him. There was a trace of muzzle flash.
> The single frame was used to advertise an exposition of news photography in
> France (Metz, I think it was...). Because it was taken from a motion picture
> segment it was thought to be inappropriate use in this way.
> Need I mention it was the last footage the filmmaker exposed.

I think you are referring to when the TV cameraman Leonardo Henriksson was
killed by Pinochetīs soldiers in Santiago. It happened during one of the
many military coup attempts leading up to the overthrow of Salvatore
Allende. Leonardo worked at the time for Swedish Television. And you are
right, he was killed instantly. However, his 16mm movie camera continued to
roll, laying on its side in the street. But the blow-ups of the film frames
still did not allow for a proper identification of his assassin.

Personally I doubt very much that Leonardo Henriksson would have objected to
that particular use of his film.

Claes