Subject: [Leica] M4 shutter problem!
From: "Jiunn-Jye Hwang" <jxh28@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 13:04:20 -0400

Hi,

    I recently found that my M4 has a shutter problem. I'm not sure exactly
what is wrong. Here I decribe the stituation and hope it is clear.

    When the rapid-wind lever is advanced the second curtain does not come
up so the negative is completely exposed to light instead of being protected
behind the curtain. When the shutter release button is fired the curtain
bounces back. Now the negative is behind the curtain.

    I just read an article from "Viewfinder" (journal of LHSA).
It said that " the shutter curtains should travel and fully clear the film
opening. Curtains that stop short of full travel signal a need for service."

    Has this happened to my M4?
    Can someone tell me exactly what happened?
    How much will it cost to repair (estimate) and also for a CLA?

    Thank you all.

Jiunn-Jye Hwang