Subject: Re: [Leica] APO-ASPH Summicron 90
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 18:59:58 +0200

Dan,

I just carefully studied some slides taken with the recently purchased new 90mm
Apo-Asph Summicron. The pictures are not particularly interesting, so I will
not be posting them anywhere, but the conclusions are as follows:

1) My standard lens testing procedure is to take pictures of some small statues
of the Three Kings that my wife keeps in our dining room. They are about 1 ft.
tall, and I put the camera on a tripod at a distance of about 1 m. I then took
a series of pictures at all apertures. This is quite a stringent test for both
the lens and the rangefinder. Looking at the slides (Fuji Provia 100), I find
that the image quality is excellent at all apertures, and I can barely see a
difference between f2 and f8 in terms of sharpness. In fact, I suspect that if
I did not see the effect of the wide aperture from the varying depth of field,
I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the images. In other
words, like other top Leica lenses, this one delivers outstanding performance
already at full aperture.

2) Handheld shots of some fountains and building details confirm the testing
impression: very snappy and sharp slides. I do not find the contrast excessive,
but then again, I have not tried the lens with Velvia.

Somebody asked about the comparison between this lens and the latest 90mm
Elmarit. I used to have one of those and liked it a lot. In handheld shooting I
don't know if the new lens is sharper, I will trust Erwin's test results there;
but it is certainly a lot better at f2 ;-)

Also, the lens is quite compact for its focal length and aperture, and there is
no problem with viewfinder blocking.

Nathan

Dan Cardish wrote:

> I appreciate your post, but I am looking for comments from the few people
> who actually have the lens.  This mailing list is full of opinions about
> things from people who never actually use those things.  I have also read
> Erwin's reports, but I want to see some actual "field reports", if there
> are any.
>
> Dan C.

- --
Nathan Wajsman