Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital darkroom
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 21:11:33 -0500

At 01:19 PM 9/11/99 -0700, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Interesting you should mention that Eric......I priced that setup..... and a
>Dell and a Gateway Dual Processor system.....A bit expensive for the quad

Ah, but the SGI system has some benefits the other PC makers aren't getting
into their systems. Like the way the motherboard handles memory allocation.
I actually photographed a guy recently whose son was a Cray scientist who
was moved to SGI after they bought Cray to design Pentium systems for them.
Quite an interesting exercise in seeing what a computer can do when put in
the hands of people who really know high performance. I played with an O2
Workstation once. Oh baby, enough to make me give up Windows or Mac!

Though the new 500 MHz G4 Mac is 2 to 4 times faster with Photoshop than
500 MHz Pentium III systems.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I don't get no respect. I called a suicide prevention line and they tried
to talk me into it.  -- Rodney Dangerfield