Subject: [Leica] What does ROM do?
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:43:18 EDT

Can someone clear up a question I've been asked and can't answer even after
calls to Leica USA and reading all the brochures?  I have a relative driving
me nuts about some R stuff.  She wants to get a used 28-70 and 70-210 lens
(both non-ROM and non-updatable, and all she can afford) but would like an R8
rather than an R7 because of the 1/250 flash sync and (she says) brighter
finder.

So, the question is: What, at this point in time, does the ROM strip actually
do with the R8?  All I've been able to get so far is that it tells the Metz
flash what focal length to zoom itself to.  Are there any other functions of
the R8 (finder displays, metering modes, etc.) that won't function without a
ROM lens?

Also, the Leica lens listing on their website makes reference to "ROM and
Sensor" with respect to the 28-70 and 35-70 f4 lenses, but not any others.
Anyone know what that's all about?

TIA
DT