Subject: RE: [Leica] Beauty of the digital darkroom
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 12:12:48 -0400

> At 10:24 PM 9/10/99 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
> >. What I meant to ask, thinking that GIMP is to be used
> >in the context of Linux, is whether Linux printer and scanner drivers are
> >available for the latest and greatest digital imaging hardware, i.e.
> >scanners and printers
>
> Oh. I thought you Linux types wrote your own drivers. :-)
> <ducking and running>

	Of course. I usually write my drivers as a break between my silver mining
activities and adding lye to my wood pulp. Film is a bit more difficult to
make because you need to cook the chicken bones quite a while to get the
proper quality gelatin :-)

	Actually what I am hoping for is that *someone else* has already done this
work. In fact Hamrick's Vuescan program is being ported to Linux
http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html which would be a great thing if the Linux
platform it to be considered for digital photography work.

	If this is possible I would greatly prefer sinking $1000 into a high
quality digital film scanner rather than an expensive software setup. When
you realize that commercial (i.e. PhotoCD) scanning costs ~$1/image or
$36/roll the expense of purchasing a scanner quickly pays for itself.

Jonathan Borden