Subject: Re: [Leica] Outputting to slides
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:25:29 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 01:09 PM 9/9/99 -0400, Martin Howard wrote:
> >).  This is freeware that exists for many platforms and is
> >at least as powerful as Adobe's Photoshop,
>
> You don't know Photoshop very well, do you.
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO

From what I know about digital so far Photoshop is the center of your digital
existence as a Photographer. Nothing comes close. It would be nice if they had
some competition but they don't. Get that first then worry about hardware. I'll
be interested to see if Eric and others more versed in the whole digital process agree.

I was going to copy four of of my achival fiber black and white prints so they
could be projected in Chicago for the Leica meeting October 23rd. I was deciding
which slide film to use until I thought *&^$% it! I'm having 4 of my Leica
Rodinol Tri X negs scanned if I can't borrow a scanner myself on Monday. Then
I'm going to Photoshop them into wonderfulness. Maybe do a slightly artsey
duotone. The slide outputter guy says 15 megabytes. I would think ten would be
OK. Wouldn't a grayscale be a lot less? So I will not be going through my 80 5.6
Nikkor enlarging lens to make the print. And I will not be going through my 105
2.8 nonAF Nikon macro lens to copy that print. Does the slide outputting device
use a lens? If so I hope it's a good one! It's a brave new frontier!
Mark Rabiner