Subject: Re: [Leica] The "real" Leica SLR
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:03:40 -0400

> I remember reading a story back in the 70s about the engineer who designed
> the OM1.  Seems he was quite a Leica fan, and dreamed of creating an SLR
> that was as light, quiet, vibration-free, and compact as a Leica M.  Well,
> he almost succeeded with the OM1.  The R6.2, which I had there for
> comparison, is loud, clunky and ungainly in comparison to the elegant
little
> OM.  Even the M6 feels large in your hands after holding an OM.  ...
>  I wish that Leica had
> chosen to partner with Olympus instead of Minolta.  The R system would
> probably look quite different today...

    Well I can say that compared to my Canon F-1 and EOS for that matter, my
R-3 is quite quiet, though it can't compare to my M6. The M6 certainly is
solid but it never has felt large in my hands ... in the way it handles and
the sound of the 'click' is at least as much of an attraction as the quality
of the glass.

Jonathan Borden