Subject: Re: [Leica] was Galen Rowell now tools...
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 18:17:07 -0700

OK Steve.......ya caught me....

Actually if I reeeaally  think about the whole story, which I believe I
first read in Road & Track back in the early 60"s ....it was not seconds as
I first stated.......

HOWEVER.....I do believe that he came within a couple of minutes of the
record. Now think about that for a minute. It really was a truck, or
something very  similar and he really did come very close to the record
time. Again, if I remember correctly he did beat the time of some lesser
cars and drivers who were out there trying to race for real.

The point of the whole thing is that Stirling Moss was one hell-of-a-driver
regardless of what platform he happened to be using at the moment. You could
put less of a talent behind any automobile you want to name, and in most
cases a driver such as a Stirling Moss, Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart
et al could run circles around them without much effort or thought.

The same can be said for Leica, Nikon, Canon...you name it. They are but
tools to get from point A  to point  B and it is the talent behind that tool
that enables it to perform in the way that we would like to believe we are
all capable.

It is a very subjective thing, unlike the absolute time around a race
course, and I would like to think that I am a fair to better than average
photographer. However when I look at some of the images of other
photographers that really send my heart to pounding I am the first one to
realize that the tool had nothing to do with it. I can put on the racing
gloves of Stirling Moss, and I can take photographs with the same tools as
Selgado, Allard, and Harvey but I do not have the talent to take that image
to the next degree and there are very few who do. And, the tool has nothing
to do with it. That does not mean that I cannot or should not try for that
next degree of image excitement. There are times when I believe that I have
accomplished something really wonderful with an image, and I get excited
about it and it makes me want to push further. At those times I race with
the Hill's, Stewart's and Moss's but not often enough to say in all honesty
that because I use Leica I am there.

After saying all of that...I'm not sure why I even started this thread...Oh
well such is life. I just returned from helping my father-in-law with a
project and a window pinned the fingers on both hands to the point it took 2
other people to get me free. I guess I just wanted to finish this thing
while I could still type. The fingers are starting to swell and with any
luck I can use this injury for at least 3 days of sitting on my butt and
doing some serious darkroom planning!  <G>

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA
USA