Subject: Re: [Leica] Beauty of the digital darkroom
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 14:33:50 -0700

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <RBedw51767@aol.com>

> Mark & David:
>
> I am just about to conclude that the "soup" method is faster and better.

Bob,

Mark and I have gone around on this on more than one occasion and I must
admit that some of his images are really quite stunning when I look at the
equipment used in producing them. At the same time, while unpacking on our
last (really last, I hope) move, I ran across some prints that I had made at
least 25 years ago. These were not cared for, nor were they processed with
any longevity in mind. They are just as good today as they were when new,
and I have no idea how much longer they will last, but outlast me, they will
without question. Inkjet technology is not yet there.

Also, like you and many others on this list, I find a quality that can only
be achieved with a silver content that is lacking in the inkjet. There is a
richness, and "gut" feel that I cannot see in a digital print.....yet.
Further, there is that magic that can only be produced while standing under
a safelight. I know I am beginning to sound like all of the other old farts,
but the magic is real and is a big part of the process, at least for me. I
even dug out the old 5x7 view camera. I have been using Leica M's for over
30 years and they are always the first choice for my prefered way of working
but negative size is like horsepower, if everything else is equal, negative
size and horsepower will alway win.

Someday I will eat my words and I will wonder why it took me so long to
embrace the scanned, inkjet image. That someday may actually come much
sooner than any of us realize. For the time being, my biggest regret is the
lack of an easy way to share images and visual ideas with 600 of my closest
friends on the LUG. I have a choice right now. I can buy a good scanner,
inkjet printer and updated software or I can build the darkroom of my bygone
dreams. Well hell, I have 3 enlargers that need a good workout so guess who
won!

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA