Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: OM4Ti highlight setting
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 04:04:34 -0400

Eric wrote:
That's how I see this. While someone is swinging his OM4Ti around and
pushing buttons and studying the 10-stop exposure bar, and trying to
remember what spot on the bar goes with what part of the scene, tweaking
the exposure compensation around trying to get just the right balance, I've
shot the scene.
. . .
Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

	--> For once, I disagree with you Eric.
	I never used an OM4Ti but this system FEATURE
	description I find fascinating as a practical approach
	in "impossible" lighting situations to try and make
	a shot retain some whatever advantage or useability even,
	then all out Zone System capability, which definitely is
	more than a flashing sword in the sun.
	With narrow latitude emulsions, the capability,
	it seems to me, makes a lot of practical sense.

	Zone System yields such wonderful results
	that would such a feature be included in a next generation
	Leica M or R, such as in the Hasselblad 205,
	it could add that much more to the practical useability
	to such products ( obviously not necessarily having to be as
	the Olympus OM4Ti, which seems to be a very well
	thought out camera with respect to affording the user
	that extra NICETY and DELIBERATE EXPOSURE CONTROL).

	Perhaps does the problem stem more from the fact
	it's not such an obvious thing to try and describe
	how this all actually works in a few e-mail words.

	At least, this OM4Ti thread brings back photography
	as subject matter. I also assume the system becomes
	"second nature" after using it a few weeks for someone
	who understands the (Color) Zone System well enough to try
	and use it. I found very interesting information on-line
	about just such a Color Zone System about a year ago.

	Regards,

	Andre Jean Quintal