Subject: [Leica] RF framelines
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 00:29:21 -0500

A bit esoteric, but here goes - for  Bud Cook and Alex:
I don't think there is any traditional reason why Leica RF framelines are partial.
The issue is mechanical.
With the M RF design, if the lines were cut to show in the VF all the way around, the
inner bit of metal might simply fall out of the frame mask assembly - so you need
some uncut portions to hold the thing together.
If memory serves, both the M3 and the M6 versions at 50mm have uncut segments at four
places. These appear in your viewfinder as sections without the frameline showing
(because light can't shine through), although the M3 is cut in the corners so you see
the lines there. With other lenses mounted Leicas show a slightly different pattern:
eight blank segments at 90mm on the M3, for example. M3s, 4s and 6s all have slightly
different frameline patterns and many of us have our preferences.
At the factory level, I suppose the options are endless: you could have a dotted line
or dots and dashes showing all the way around the frame (the Samuel Morse
Commemorative M6!) but, aftermarket, I doubt even the most skilled technician would
want to monkey around with that part of the frame mask assembly. It's all very thin
material, so we just have to take what we have been given.

Emanuel Lowi