Subject: Re: [Leica] Galen, Nikon, $
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:59:56 EDT

digphoto@nashville.net writes:

<< So, here is a bit of slightly informed speculation about why Galen Rowell
 uses the gear he does or has used in the past:

 At the start he was using older smaller Nikons (FM or FE I think) often
 with a 24, and a 70-150 E Series zoom (maybe a 55 macro too?). The reason
 for this type of gear is that its light and compact >>
<snip> <>

I think you're probably right.  I read recently where he's taken to using an
FM-10 (the Cosina-made generic SLR that's also the Olympus OM2000, and the
Ricoh KR-5 Super among others) and the plastic-lensmount 28-80 zoom Nikkor on
his climbs, and I don't think even Mr. Nikon himself would call that lens a
killer.  I remember Galen saying he also used a Minox 35 at one point, also
for its lightness, but never mentions trying an M.  One thing Galen makes a
great deal of use out of are graduated ND filters, and believe me they are
*not* very compatible with the M6.  I have a set (the screw-in, rotating
type...the Cokin type are useless on an M) and they are not very workable
compared to an SLR.  That said, I have never gotten the hang of using them in
the mountains the way Galen does.  They hold back the sky above the horizon
all right, but also the mountain that sticks up into it : (