Subject: [Leica] Leica vs. Hasselblad (was Leica and Hasselblad)
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:33:43 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Brick wrote:
Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica and Hasselblad

I personally believe that Hasselblad enjoys the
endorsement
of professional
photography. Leica does as well, but in a limited
manner.
Keeble and
Shuchat photography, having the largest North western
Leica
sales, also has
the largest North western Hasselblad sales. But
Hasselblad
sales are 1000:1
over Leica sales.

- - - - snip - - -

 All of these sales are
to professional
photographers in the San Francisco / Northern CA area.
Very
few amateur sales.

So what is the key to this success?

Jim
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Jim,

To my way of thinking the answer is quite simple.
Leica has chosen to go after the "high end amateur"
and "collector" markets while Hasselblad has chosen to
go after the Pro market.

Hasselblad has products to sell...Leica doesn't.  A
quick check of the B&H ad in this month's ShutterBug
Magazine shows Hasselblad with 10 products pictured on
about 2/3rds of a page.  Leica, on the other hand, has
two products shown on 1/6th.

Hasselblad has chosen to domonate the medium format
market while Leica has relagated itself to a small
nitch of the 35mm market.

Hasselblad is in the business of selling cameras,
Leica is in the business of selling history &
tradition.  Hasselblad lives in the present, Leica
lives in the past.

Leica has the potential to be a dominate force in the
35mm market if they just quite screwing around.  Case
in point, when you have the problems that Leica has,
you don't spend time and money making a motor drive
for a product that is 'dead in the water'...yes, I am
talking about the R8.

That may not be what you wanted to hear, but we both
know it is a fact.

Kind regards,

Bill Erfurth
m6rf@yahoo.com