Subject: Re: [Leica] Homophobic leicaphiles (off topic)
From: "ross mcleish" <cram@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:35:49 +1000

Stuart wrote:

> As someone who is gay and I was disappointed to receive the following as
> part of the digest;  yes, I "can take a joke" but I shouldn't have to take
> that kind of joke.  If you don't see why it's offensive, try substituting
> Hispanics or some other ethnic group... Ideally, I would like to see
others
> object as I would have done if an ethnic joke had been made.  I guess
we'll
> see.

Well, Stuart.......I'm 'gay' too, and this morning I find myself still
crying with laughter re that joke. Personally I have the appearance of being
always very PC,  especially about mattters of race discrimination, however I
must say that on matters of sexuality I often laugh at myself quite
comfortably -- but then I tend to see my sexuality as secondary to my
humanity. By that, I mean my priority in life is as a member of the wider
community, irrespective of race, of individual beliefs, philosophies,
theologies, or sexualities.
I just didn't read the interpretation of that joke, which obviously troubled
you so. Certainly there was no clear intention from the LUGger sending it,
that it should be offensive -- and I feel certain that he is feeling genuine
remorse for causing you, or anyone else any hurt. For my part, I'm still
smiling......and light-heartedly enjoying the best of Leica light!
Ross.