Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica and Hasselblad
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 15:11:37 -0700

I personally believe that Hasselblad enjoys the endorsement of professional
photography. Leica does as well, but in a limited manner. Keeble and
Shuchat photography, having the largest North western Leica sales, also has
the largest North western Hasselblad sales. But Hasselblad sales are 1000:1
over Leica sales. It takes six months for Leica to sell what Hasselblad
sells in a couple of weeks. These numbers are, of course, my estimates. I
spend perhaps two to three hours at KSP each week. The Hasselblad equipment
is just running out the door. A steady stream. I personally know all of the
sales staff and they continually say "we cannot keep this stuff in stock."
The day I bought my 40mm Distagon ($3900) I got the last one and two other
people walked in, while I was there, and wanted one. So they had to wait a
week or two. The N. CA Hasselblad rep, leaves every Tuesday with a huge
order list. It is an amazing sight. All of these sales are to professional
photographers in the San Francisco / Northern CA area. Very few amateur sales.

So what is the key to this success?

Jim