Subject: Re: [Leica] M and R Future
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 00:36:57 -0700

Stephen Gandy wrote:

> Elliot M. Puritz, MD wrote:
>
> > Can Leica really keep the M line going with what appears to be a relatively
> > small group of devotees, many of whom own multiple lenses?  Can they
> > create a new following for these products?  Not sure.  Indeed, seems likely
> > that, as has been posited, sales of other Leica items will serve to keep the
> > company solvent and allow for the M line to continue to be "improved".
>
> The M has done comparatively well the last 27 years in part due to lack of
> competition  (counting from the death of the Canon 7s in 1972).    That changed
> this year with Cosina-Voigtlander.  It is about to change further, quickly.
><Snip>

> It's going to be very interesting what happens over the next five years or so
><Snip>

This has been a huge couple of years for the Leica M system.
The whole Leica M lens line has been virtually redone in no time flat to an
impressive auspicious effect. Let's give it a year or two for the word to get
out and for it to sink in. I think that if the 28 Summicron Asph pans out it
will top off the whole thing for the fireworks at the end of the big one.
People will start to notice and soon. And the third party options opens up the
shooting options for Leica M shooters or even LTM shooters.
In a couple of more years Leica will definitely "rule" and we will have the
pleasure of having said I told you so and be pioneers in it first on our
respective blocks.
The Leica choice will soon represent not so much a precious niche but a heathy minority.
And I'm sorry but Leica for me is rangefinder. It will be interesting to see if
Herr Cohen brings what SLR projects to the front burner. I still say they could
reinstitute the R7 like they did with the M.
Mark Rabiner