Subject: Re: [Leica] lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 19:07:26 -0400

At 10:17 AM 9/5/1999 EDT, Don J Rorschach wrote:
>Further, if the lenses are "farmed out" to Japanese manufacturers, should we
>not expect to pay no more than comparable Japanese made lenses rather than
>paying super high prices for what most believe is superior German
>craftsmanship?

Sorry, Don, but your math is a-gley here.  Leica insists on MUCH higher
quality standards than these houses use for their internal production.
This doubles or triples the price of the lens.  The profit margin on most
expensive lenses, incidentally, is proportionately less than on cheaper
optics, one major reason why the larger houses can be immensely profitable.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!