Subject: [Leica] Re: Schwarzer Zaun
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 18:47:26 -0400

The argument seems to be inclusion of frame lines (those black borders
around the actual negative area) is a completion of the photographic
statement.
Without the frames 'holding' an image in it's place, it is allowed to have
free reign beyond the limits of it's boundary.

I am reminded of the troubadour artist with the folding box (camera obscura)
presenting a patron with a newly completed painting of his estate. The rich
old man studied it at great length, this amazing likeness never before seen
in such colorful detail.
He set it down and asked, "But what about this tree over here?" pointing to
an edge of the painting outside the area of interest, a solitary limb the
only remnant included.

Okay fine, the artist photographer should print his work as he sees fit
(with or without the frame lines). Do the lines prohibit the viewers'
continued interest in the work, are they not a limitation to the
imagination? So what if the sky flows off the edge of the print into the
matte? Doesn't sky do that anyway?
If you require added black content to bolster your blacks in the image
itself, something else is wrong with the print?

I like the idea of showing the subject as intended, but the frame lines
don't provide additional value to the statement. Only detract from it.