Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 13:50:56 -0700

Roger Beamon wrote:

> On 4 Sep 99, Bill Larsen wrote, at least in part:
>
> > My concern would be if they became so arrogant and self-involved
> > that they thought that they could do everything in house, with
> > minor factoring to outside sources.  If they did that, they
> > probably couldn't even build a motor drive for their camera.
>
> I hope that you didn't answer your own speculation here, Bill,
> because they haven't yet offered the drive for the R8, at least!
>                                      8^)
>
> --
> Roger

Hi Roger!!
Well this is an interesting switch! A while back everyone was up in arms for
thinking Leica would have the gaul to let someone make them a screw. Now we're
(kidding about I think) hoping for the opposite!

Not owning an R makes it pretty irrelevant or callus for me to say I don't give
a dang about the motor on the R8. If I had an R8 I think I could easily forgo
the motor for a long while. Of course I would feel differently if I had put
money down on one or was going to plan on having the R8 be my professional
camera for nitty gritty professional work. Still again I would think if that
were the case I would have an R7 to tide me over with a motor which seems like a
beautiful proven camera.
If I was running Leica I would not have the motor for the R8 be on the front
burner either.
Perhaps a shameless troll but my sincere humble callus opinion.
Mark Rabiner