Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V11 #40
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 16:27:20 -0700

> Has anyone seen/read the works of Raghubir Singh ?

Yeah! he's phenomenal - achieves a compositional & thematic
density in many of his best pictures that are (IMO) nearly
unique.

> What I'm curious is that his pics are very much like as
> if they were executed thru "rangefinder technique" but
> I was rather surprised to find out (from Pop Photography)
> that they were taken using one of his several
> old Nikon FA SLR almost exclusively. When asked why, he
> said the major deciding factor was the250 flash sync speed .
> Of course pics like these can be achieved with an SLR, but
> I thot , wouldn't all these pics could have been easier
> obtained thru a rangefinder camera ?

I went though a similar series of reactions when first
exposed to Sigh's work, but for him the way that flash
is used is even more pivotal than the framing system;
he's one of the few photographers using a lot of flash
whose work I really like.

It's pretty obvious that his usual kit is a 24 mm (or so)
lens with a strobe & diffuser...

> Is there such a thing as a type of picture that a rangefinder
> camera can capture which an SLR can't ?

Maybe the opposite, at least until the M6 TTL was introduced.

> Or maybe Singh took tons of pics (which he said
> he did) and cropped like crazy.....

I don't think he crops a lot. I think he shoots a lot and
edits magnificently. I strongly suspect that much of his work
is zone-focused and that he's experienced enough to frame
the image in his mind's eye as he brings up the camera.

For those who haven't seen it, the conversation between
Singh & V.S. Naipul in the beginning of the book Bombay
is a mustered.

- -Alexey