Subject: Re: [Leica] Impersonation scare [no Leica content]
From: Zeissleica@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 06:54:10 EDT

red735i@earthlink.net writes:

> ........Even seen a document with you name signed to it that you didn't
>  write?......
>
>  Yes, but don't care..... it wasn't me.....
>
>  Use my name all you want, but please, once in a while, on the PAY TO THE
>  ORDER OF line on a check.

I wouldn't be so flippant if I were you.

Try coming home from vacation and finding a strange bank account statement
with your name on it that you didn't open or give approval for.

Consider the consequences when you discover the money in the account (many,
many thousands of dollars) may have been illegally obtained (or at least very
gray in nature).

Then start sweating when you realize *you* are the responsible party for
capital gains taxes on the account and *you* are the one authorities will
seek when the money in it is removed and checks made against the nonexistent
funds start bouncing.

This nightmare actually happened to me and my wife 7 years ago.  Everything
worked out in the end (months later), but I still worry about the incident
recurring, as the other party is still out there and has a history of
continuing to do similar actions since our incident.

Do not take such impersonations lightly!

/Mitch