Subject: RE: [Leica] M3 or rapidwinder (LONG!)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:14:32 EDT

>Date:  9/2/99 11:34:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>Alistair wrote:
>Tom A, what's the straight scoop on the M3/ARW modification options?

Alistair,
The M3 can be converted to use the M6 Rapidwinder. It is possible to install
the M2 drive in it and then use the M2 Rapidwinder. This is a rather complex
procedure, as it requires a different film counter system and the longer
shaft for the M2 or Md and apart from being scarce, these parts are
expensive. The less costly way is to match the M3 to the M6 Rapidwinder and
install the drive for a M4P or M6 in the camera. I do not do that conversion
myself, but Reinhold Mueller in Toronto does it. Over the last decade there
must have been a couple of 100 of these conversions done. It is an easy
conversion to do, the M4P/M6 drive is installed and drives the intermediary
gears in the body, a hole is punched in the inside cover-plate and then the
Rapidwinder can be mounted on the camera. The conversion costs about US$200
(Reinhold also checks the camera out at the same time so it is a good deal).
I recommend that I make the Rapidwinder specific for the conversion and send
it to Reinhold and he then matches the units together). The reason for this
is that the drive on the camera and the winder can require slight
modification to work smoothly. It does not change the winder and it is still
usable on a M4P or a M6. The biggest difference is that I make a modified
brass post on the M3 adapted Rapidwinder (or M4, the same conversion can be
done to a M4, cost is the same). The M6 post with the screw on top can rub
against the film take-up spool and make the advance rough. The interesting
piece of trivia is, if the camera is an old Double Stroke M3, it retains that
function with the regular, top mounted advance, but the action of the
Rapidwinder is single stroke.
 Is it worthwhile to do the conversion. If you love the finder and the action
of the M3, it is worthwhile and it does look rather neat with the Rapidwinder
attached. "Is that a real MP you are wearing?" Do I use these converted
cameras? You bet! I have 3 of them and use them frequently, it is a nice
match with the M2. Usually a 21 on one M2, a 35 on the other and the 50 on
the M3 (90 in the pocket). Good shooters set-up and completely Y2K proof too.
All the best,
Tom A