Subject: [Leica] Re: LEGAL STUFF
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 08:45:36 -0700

Ted--

The OJ coverage was a disgrace to journalism and it revealed the true nature
of television "news." However, what you don't see from wherever you are
(Canada?) is all the unsensational work coming out of the court rooms. Here in
California we have pretty free access to the courtrooms these days (though we
occasionally run into an obstinant judge) and our presence does not influence
the participants in any noticeable way.

Sure, society would probably not perish if no photographers were allowed in
the courts. But in the absence of a powerful reason for it to be so, the
courts would be deciding what the media's standards are to be. I'd rather see
the media practice a measure of poor taste and sensationalism than to have
judges decide what the public should be hearing and seeing.

For example: recently a judge in Los Angeles had the bailiff activate a stun
belt on a defendant who wouldn't stop talking on her orders. No cameras were
present, but I'm sure what they would have recorded had they been there would
have been of great value to the public in deciding if it was inapropriate
punishment (which is what the public concensus is at the moment). If sending
thousands of volts through a defendent who disobayed her oders were to become
the judge's practice, and the media had the opportunity to record it, I'm sure
the judge would rule it outside the proper conduct of the media if it was OK
for the judges to decide what is appropriate for the which branch of the media
to witness. It's my opinion that the judges should not be allowed to permit
the attendendance of some types of accredited media (reporters) and not others
(photographers) as long as the integrity of the courtroom is maintained.

Dave Yoder