Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon v Leica
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:02:58 -0500

>Just a quick note in response to above. I finally got the new Nikkor
>85mm1.4 and it is outstanding.

Is it solid like older Nikon lenses, or is it kind of plasticky like some
newer AF lenses? (The current 60 Micro Nikkor being wonderfully solid!)
<<<<<<<<<<

Nikon 85 f/1.4D autofocus lens -- I've been using one for a couple years
now -- is a solid lens, one with Nikon's crinkle metal finish. Still,
mechanically, it's not a Leica. Manual focus feel is better than most
autofocus lenses but not at the same level as a good manual focus lens. The
manual focus of the 60 mm Micro Nikkor you mention (and which I also use)
is better.

But optically, the 85 mm f/1.4D Nikkor is superb. Not having shot with the
75 Summilux, I can't say how it compares (an 85 just suits my shooting
style better than a 75 mm lens). But I could show you photos I've taken of
my dog with the Nikkor at f/1.4, even near the 3' minimum focus distance,
where you can distinguish every eyelash. And the out-of-focus areas are
velvety-smooth enough to please me (though, again, whether they're as
smooth as the 75 Summilux I don't know).

(However, consistently focusing an 85 mm lens at f/1.4 on the eyelashes of
a dog 3 feet away is another matter altogether.....)

Larry