Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R vs. Contax SLR lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:40:45 -0500

At 10:52 PM 8/31/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Does anyone who uses (or has used) both the Leica R and Contax SLR lenses
>care to comment on the qualities of the respective lens lines?
>Do they have a different "fingerprint" or is this largely in the eyes of
>the beholder?

Leica lenses tend to be a bit warmer than Contax lenses. Blake Ziegler, who
is the Contax head guy for the U.S. says my observation is correct. I say
Contax is blue, and he says Leica is yellow. So you're right about eye of
the beholder.

You can't go wrong with any of their lenses, but the selection of lenses is
much more restricted than Leica. And the long and fast lenses are
significantly more expensive in the Contax line. The 200 f/2 is something
like $12,000 US.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...