Subject: [Leica] Fw: Epson Stylus Photo 1200
From: "Paul Bolam" <Paul@bolam67.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 19:25:17 +0100

- ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BEF3E6.8EB35E60

From: Paul Bolam=20
Subject: Epson Stylus Photo 1200

In light of recent discussions I guess this isn't too off topic.

Whilst the consensus of opinion appears good for this printer (Epson =
1200), I recently experienced a problem with horizontal banding and =
contacted Epson UK via their website. Their response was quick enough =
and they recommended that I change both ink cartridges. This I tried to =
do but was only able to replace the black ink as the colour cartridge =
was out of stock nationwide.

I reported this to Epson and they volunteered to collect the printer and =
fix it free of charge (under warranty). They also acknowledged the out =
of stock situation and said that 10,000 cartridges were expected for =
delivery soon.Three working days later the printer was returned to me =
and appears to be working well again. I use it for both colour and black =
& white printing. The engineer's diagnosis was that the print heads were =
faulty for black and colour and were consequently replaced.

The next day, I received a call from a market research lady on behalf of =
Epson. She asked questions about my views on the printer and I explained =
that had it not been for the horizontal banding I'd have given it very =
high praise indeed. She also asked for any comments I might have so I =
gave the following:-

1) black and white prints on Epson photo paper have creamy whites that =
could be improved.
2) there's no graduation in black tones.
3) I'm concerned that Epson photo prints are not permanent and may fade =
in the light.
4) if I got the banding problem again I'd lose all faith in the printer.
5) out of stock situation for ink cartridges was not good news. I've =
checked again and they've been short for four weeks so far and fresh =
supplies still haven't arrived.

She was very keen to find out how many cartridges and paper I get =
through. My guess is that the profit margin may be small on the hardware =
but is supplemented by the consumables. She mentioned that cartridges =
would soon be available in twin packs.=20

I asked about Epson's plans re. special printing papers and inks but she =
had no information.=20
=20
Funnily enough, when I outlined my equipment, she said "what's your =
camera called again?"
I replied "Leica" then she said "how do you spell it, coz I've never =
heard of it?"
So, I patiently spelled it for her and she then replied "is that one of =
those funny Swiss makes?"

Presumably, she must have spoken to a Sinar fan in the past so I =
explained where it was made. She then said "Oh, it's like Nikon then!"
=20
I gave up at this point. It a shame this market researcher didn't have a =
bit more knowledge of Epson's products as she could have easily promoted =
their consumables.=20
Kind regards,
Paul.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BEF3E6.8EB35E60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
href=3D"mailto:Paul@bolam67.freeserve.co.uk"=20
title=3DPaul@bolam67.freeserve.co.uk>Paul Bolam</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Epson Stylus Photo 1200</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>In light of recent discussions I guess this isn't =
too off=20
topic.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Whilst the consensus of opinion appears&nbsp;good =
for this=20
printer (Epson 1200), I recently experienced a problem with horizontal=20
banding&nbsp;and contacted Epson UK via their&nbsp;website. Their =
response was=20
quick enough and they recommended that I change both ink cartridges. =
This I=20
tried to do&nbsp;but was only able to replace the black ink as the =
colour=20
cartridge was out of stock nationwide.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I reported this to Epson and they volunteered to =
collect the=20
printer and fix it free of charge (under warranty). They also =
acknowledged the=20
out of stock situation and said that 10,000 cartridges were expected for =

delivery soon.Three working days later the printer was returned to me =
and=20
appears to be working well again. I use it for both colour and black =
&amp; white=20
printing. The engineer's diagnosis&nbsp;was that the print heads were =
faulty for=20
black and colour and were consequently replaced.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The next day, I received a call from a market =
research lady on=20
behalf of Epson. She asked questions about my views on&nbsp;the printer =
and I=20
explained that had it not been for the horizontal banding I'd have given =
it very=20
high praise indeed. She also asked for any comments I might have so I =
gave the=20
following:-</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>1) black and white prints on Epson photo paper have =
creamy=20
whites that could be improved.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>2) there's no graduation in black =
tones.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3) I'm concerned that Epson photo prints are not =
permanent and=20
may fade in the light.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>4) if I got the banding problem again I'd lose all =
faith in=20
the printer.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>5) out of stock situation for ink cartridges was not =
good=20
news. I've checked again and they've been short for&nbsp;four weeks so =
far and=20
fresh supplies still haven't arrived.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>She was very keen to find out how many cartridges =
and paper I=20
get through. My guess is that the profit margin may be small on the =
hardware but=20
is supplemented by the consumables. She mentioned that cartridges would =
soon be=20
available in twin packs. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I asked about Epson's plans re. special printing =
papers and=20
inks&nbsp;but she had no information. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Funnily enough, when I outlined my equipment, she =
said "what's=20
your camera called again?"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I&nbsp;replied "Leica" </FONT><FONT size=3D2>then =
she said "how=20
do you spell it, coz I've never heard of it?"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>So, I patiently spelled it for her and she =
then&nbsp;replied=20
</FONT><FONT size=3D2>"is that one of those funny Swiss =
makes?"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Presumably, she must have spoken to a Sinar fan in =
the past so=20
I explained where it was made. She then said "Oh, it's like Nikon=20
then!"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I gave up at this point. It a shame this market =
researcher=20
didn't have a bit more knowledge of Epson's products as she could have =
easily=20
promoted their consumables. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Kind regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Paul.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BEF3E6.8EB35E60--