Subject: RE: [Leica] Dr. Blacktape Places an Order...
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@jcberger.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:17:55 +0200

Hi DT,

I don't want to begin a Nikon vs Leica war, but I would be curious to know how
you determined that the 75 Summilux is not as sharp as the Nikon 85, especially
the 1.4 which is know to be far inferior to the 1.8. This last one, I found, is
almost as sharp as the Summilux :-) but when closed one stop more and the edges
don't reach the same quality. The contrast is, IMHO, behind the Leica at all
apertures, in particular wide open. The transition between in-focus and
out-focus zones is exceptional with the Summilux and rough in the Nikon.

A last word, I have had those lenses too. I sold the Summilux because I did not
find that focal length useful enough but I will regret its optical qualities. I
sold the Nikons because I use this system less than the Leicas. I regret their
compactness (compared with the 80-200/2.8 zoom) more than something else, even
they were very good lenses. The Summilux is a gem, simply.

- --
Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)
Systems and RDBMS consultant (MCSE)
Lyon, France