Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W Film
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:02:39 -0700

Andrew Moore wrote:

> > Currently, I'm in a process of shooting and evaluating Delta 400. Again
> > developed in XTOL 1+1. Just started to print some of my photos from my
> > recent trip to Italy on 11x14 (inch) FB paper and I'm really impressed with
> > the low grain and sharpness of D400.
>
> I try this combination (Delta 400 in Xtol 1:1) several times, including
> last weekend, and the first thing I notice is the appearance of more
> grain (at least on the negatives -- I haven't printed yet) as compared
> to my Tri-X negatives.  I shoot the Tri-X at 320, and the Delta at 400.
> I process in 1- or 2-reel stainless steel tanks for 14 minutes at 68
> degrees F.  If anyone has tried Delta 400 in Xtol 1:1, with less grainy
> results, I'd like to hear the recipie.
>
> --Andrew
> NO ARCHIVE

I made an print on Multigrade Fiber from a Delta 400 neg this week which is
flattening now. It could have been diluted anywhere between 1:1 and 1:3 I lost
the record. It was an 6 by 9 inch full frame black border print on the 8 by 10
sheet. This would NOT be a good judge for fine points of grain because at this
size grain was no issue. It was barely visible. And although TriX also is
virtually grainless at this size it is noticeably less "sharp." I still like the
Tri x look but as someone here just said it is an equalizer of lenses and the
Delta seems to show off what our Leica optics can do. I would have to by a brick
of the stuff and shoot and develop it in quick secession to really find out how
much I could love this stuff. I'm sure Tri x has more latitude but that could go
by the wayside.
Mark Rabiner