Subject: Re: [Leica] Seeing vs photography (was: BOKEH of 35mm lenses)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:06:36 -0700

Mikiro wrote:

>When a Zeiss engineer was asked if Zeiss takes bokeh into consideration, he
>answered, "We are concerned exclusively about highest image quality in
>focus."  This is what I read in an interview article in a certain
>photojournal.  How about Leica?>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Mikiro,

It has always been my understanding for many years the most important part
of taking pictures is exactly what the Zeiss engineer was talking about.

""We are concerned exclusively about highest image quality in focus."

Like who cares about what the heck it looks like in the background? Isn't
it, "the subject in focus that matters most?"  Surely the subject in focus
is the most important part of any photograph?  However, I suppose there is
some reason the main subject could be out of focus and the image could
still be a keeper because the backround looked neat! :)

But then maybe this out of focus background is the reason I like to shoot
with the higest possible shutter speed and the widest possible aperture.
And I've never thought about what it looked like as long as it was so far
out that it acted as a seperation of the main subject sharply from the
background.

ted

ted

Ted Grant