Subject: [Leica] Seeing vs photography (was: BOKEH of 35mm lenses)
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:31:26 +0200

Hi, Dan-san.

This is an intriguing point!  Seeing and photography certainly are similar
but at the same time very different in some aspects.

Vision is a cascade of processes that is so complicated that very little of
it has been understood.  CCD or film mimics only part of them.  I once read
a book by a mathematician who simulated a computational process involved in
visual transduction in the retina but did not understand a single formula.
;-)  Further, we have just started to have some vague ideas about what our
brains do in seeing!  Vision is a wonder.  This is what an
ophthalmologist/retinal researcher can say.

PS: As far as I know, animal lenses are aspherical.  Undoubtedly, there have
been some experiments of taking pictures with real human or animal lenses,
but I am not sure if anyone has ever evaluated the quality of bokeh with
them!

Regards,

Mikiro
Strasbourg, Europe