Subject: Re: [Leica] ... 28-70 zoom...
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:51:18 -0700

If you were to focus at the 70mm focal length, and then zoom to 28mm it
would still be in proper focus. The reason is that a zoom lens can focus
more accurately at the longest focal length.
Also, there is a difference between a "zoom" lens and a "variable
focal-length" lens. A zoom lens will retain focus throughout the range while
a variable focal-length lens has to be refocused at the various settings.

Joseph