Subject: [Leica] CL Leica Stealth Model
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 09:51:38 -0400

Next to one of my IIIx bodies I think the CL is the stealthiest of the Leica
brand. It's black, so it's one step more discrete than the chrome III's.
The M's have more mass and are physically larger than the CL's. The benefit
(it is said) to the size is a wider focus bed (on M's), more accuracy.

Invariably I can get two or three shots with the CL before anyone seems to
notice I've got a camera up to my eye. With an M, I get 'seen' right away.
Since most of my personal work is 'street photography' I'd prefer to be as
transparent as possible.

Coupled with my 90mm Elmar the CL is a great tool for 'bug on wall' shots.

Downside? The zippered leather case has a habit of not getting out of the
way. The strap is mounted on lugs located on the side of the body so it
hangs differently than other cameras (vertical). Loading could be a trick
without the strap though- it hangs on to the back while it's opened.
I like the way it fits together, a fine tolerance in fabrication.
Oh yeah, my MTB is a Porsche S (mighty fine ride).