Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Proper care for new M6
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:40:05 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

> There is only one answer to your question(s). Use the hell out of your M6.
> Carry it everywhere, crank that film through, shoot shoot shoot. Don't baby
> it. The more it's used, the better it will perform. And the better it will
> look and feel. A happy M6 is a well used M6. If you want to have a
> "perfect" M6 for all time. Buy another and lock it in a safe. I will be
> unhappy, problematical, finicky, moody, but no marks or other signs of use.
>
> Jim
>
> At , you wrote:
> >I went ahead and ordered from Patrick McKee. A
> >very pleasant experience. Thanks for recommending him.
> >
> >I wanted to know, some tips on how to
> >keep my M6 in top shape when it arrives.
> >
> >1. I've heard of people putting some
> >kind of sleave on the strap rings to
> >protect the camera. Any details?
> >
> >2. I've heard that you can burn a hole
> >in your curtain from the sun. How careful
> >do I need to be? Do I have to keep the
> >sun out of any part of the frame while
> >shooting?
> >
> >3.The lens seems like it has grease in
> >the focusing grooves. Does it tend to
> >collect dirt over time?
> >
> >4. Any other tips so that it stays nice
> >for years?

Hey I'm up too!

It says in the little book that comes with the lens that the grease is OK.
I think it said "don't use too much Vaseline" but I'm making it too easy for
some people out there.
I've seem my lenses come like that too and it all blends in somehow and is OK.
A case will turn your camera into an awkward clunker but will sure protect it.
Black tape will protect your camera from a variety of gamma rays, the van Allen
belts you name it.,,
thieves, over envious Yuppies. The red dot is not good to stare at for long
periods of time. You close your eyes fast and it is a green dot and that is disconcerting.
Like Jim has just implied: make it a user.
It's a tool.  A hammer not a glass unicorn.
Mark Rabiner