Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: mindsets and cross processing
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:56:51 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

> This is an ongoing discussion right now on the HUG. Seems like most Wedding
> Photogs on that list either sell their negs to the client, or shred them
> after some relatively short time span. They say that after a couple of
> years, reprint orders are non existent. So why keep them.
>
> Interesting sidebar... I was in Calypso Imaging on Wednesday, picking up
> some prints (another 48x60 and some smaller LightJet prints) and this
> fellow came in and asked if his film was ready. He spoke very poor English.
> It was and Amanda said to him "cross processing produces some very
> interesting and strange results" and the man didn't understand her. He
> looked at the film (which was 120 E6) and said "this is E6". Then he saw
> that he had filled out a cross processing request rather than an E6
> processing request. He got, as he requested, his E6 run through the C41
> process. What he had photographed was a wedding. About six rolls. The man
> then buried his face in his hands and uttered strange words. It was easy to
> tell that he was very distressed.
>
> Jim

I shot about a hundred weddings in 25 years and that does not make me a wedding
photographer thank god becuase that's 4 a year and these guys do easily 4 a weekend.
I thought I was cutting edge because I was shooting most of them with the
Hasselblad with Tri x profession in Rodinol and doing a lot of tripod shots with
no strobes. I did lots of art directors who didn't want a wedding photographer.
I charged the same for 5x7's as 8x10's and printed them all myself, mostly 7x7
images on 8x10 paper. I could take a week to print a wedding put I would really
make some money BUT the sun would be shining and life goes on.
So anyway I thought I was on the cutting edge but 2 people I've come upon in the
last few weeks are heavy into infrared black and white weddings. Too rich for my
blood, I'm atta here!
Cross processing would be thought of as par for the course by these people.
"How about a "THE FACE" wedding"! Forget about this Great Gatsby fuzzy wuzzy BS!
Mark Rabiner
an x not wedding photographer with no nose rings.