Subject: [Leica] Leica moment...Moon Rise!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:45:12 -0700

Hi Gang,

One important item I failed to explain, was the best timing for shooting
full moon rising images.

If you're enclined to use your Leica in this fashion, check the sunset to
moon rise time. You want the set - rise time to be close with the sun "just
set" and the "moon risng" as soon after the sun set time.

This allows the eastern sky to have darkened some and the moon is more
effective looking as it breaks over the horizon.

I'd watch the evening before "full moon" and get an idea of where it is rising.
Compass is very handy here, but don't forget the earth position to moon
change with the time of year, it doesn't come up exactly east!

Because the rise time changes each evening, it will surprise you how much,
as it changes very rapidly over a few days. Certainly the rise time can
change 30 to 40 minutes over a couple of days.  So it's very important to
check each day for the timing, as we had a 40 minute shift over three days.

The longer the Leica lens the better.  Oh yeah and if it's overcast?

You're on your own! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant