Subject: [Leica] 90 Tele-Elmarit
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:30:02 -0700

Most Leica lenses seem to generate a general agreement of the lens' ability.
Disagreements can usually be described as different interpretations within
narrow limits.

Not the Tele-Elmarit.  For some reason, the 90 Tele-Elmarit  has its staunch
admirers, and its severe critics -- strangely enough in both the thin and fat
versions.

Perhaps there there really are substantial differences in performance within
this len design -- for reasons which have yet to be established.   One factor
on the thin version (not sure about the fat version) may be the  new sealed
optical unit of the rear elements.   If Leica had difficulty in Quality
Control  with this new method, this may hold some of the answers.

Stephen Gandy