Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/2 Summicron 11817
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:14:57 -0700

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 04:03 PM 8/25/1999 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:
><snip>
> >Tele-Elmarit 90. IMHO. a dog.
>
> First, I'm not certain I agree with the first part of this sentence, and
> certainly do not with the second, especially as there are two versions of
> this lens and Rabiner didn't bother to be more specific.
>
> Marc

I didn't own both versions I think it was the thinner but it was my impression
that both could have been not so great. All I know is I spent half a grand on a
Leica m lens made in the mid seventies seven years ago that appeared to be clear
glass and got worse results than from a Nikon 3.5 135 from the 60's with almost
no apparent coating that cost me $30. It seems several people on the lug
including Erwin seem to feel the tele's were too much a desperate attempt at
miniaturization.  Which is why the current Elmarit which I now own weights twice
as much. A failed experiment. I didn't attribute any opinion on the
tele-Elmarits to you.
Only the vaguest seemingly airtight idea that earlier versions of lenes might be
preferable to some people for personal reasons.
And as I posted to you privately I felt that to be a statement which seemed
obvious enough to not be an issue.
Mark Rabiner