Subject: Re: [Leica] Web Image Theft on EBAY
From: Frank Conley <frankconley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:17:32 -0700 (PDT)

I have no idea what this case is about, but much of the information is
confused. Copyright infringement is always at least a civil matter (a
tort).  17 U.S.C. 501(b) details the mechanisms by which an owner of a
copyright may file a civil suit, and 28 U.S.C. 1338 expressly refers to
civil actions arising under the
copyright act.

Under certain circumstances copyright infringement may also be a
federal crime.  A copyright infringement is subject to criminal
prosecution if infringement is willful and for purposes of commercial
advantage or private financial gain.  17 U.S.C. 506(a).  If the offense
consists of the reproduction or distribution, during any 180-day
period, of 10 or more copies having a retail value of more than $2,500,
the offense is a felony; otherwise, the offense is a misdemeanor.  18
U.S.C. 2319.

Thus, the federal government prosecutes violations of the law meeting
certain standards, while you can bring an action yourself for a more
limited infringement.

You need not register your works with the copyright office in order to
receive copyright protection. however, there are certain benefits you
get with registration, and you must register before you can file suit.
However, copyright protection is immediate in a work as soon as the
work is put into a tangible medium.

By the way, the FBI does not "enforce" any laws, nor do the police
"enforce" laws.  Prosecutors enforce laws. Police and the FBI (and the
FBI is merely a federal police agency) investigate crimes, and then
report their findings to a prosecuting attorney (either a state
District Attorney, or a United States Attorney) for a decision on
whether or not to prosecute. The prosecutor has discretion to determine
which cases to prosecute and which to not, based upon available
resources, etc.

- --Frank Conley, Esq.