Subject: [Leica] M experiences at photo seminar
From: "Mark E Davison" <Mark_E_Davison@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:20:24 -0700

Just recently returned from a photo workshop taught by fellow LUGGER David
Medley. David was trying to get all the students back to basics, and had
instructed us to bring one fast fixed focal length lens. I decided to try an
exercise in minimalism, and shot most of the workshop with an M3 and a
dual-range Summicron. To balance this old hardware I also brought along a
spanking new Sekonic L-408 light meter, a nearly new M6 body as a backup, a
Canon 50/1.4 lens in LTM for available darkness shots and my 35/2 ASPH for
wider angle interior shots.

Some observations:

Most of the 17 students actually had fast fixed focal length lenses. David
only had to tape two zooms down: one of the those zooms was an f2.8.

Since I don't shop frequently for cameras I was appalled at the
disappearance of DOF scales on many of the students lenses. It is now
becoming impossible to teach some techniques like zone focussing.

I learned a great deal about exposure by primarily shooting with the M3 and
using the L-408, which combines incident light metering and a 4 deg spot.
(I was shooting ASA 100 color slide film mostly, plus two rolls of Ilford
XP-2.)  Incident metering worked great for interior shots without excess
brightness range: I got really natural looking colors. Incident metering was
not too good for exterior shots where subjects were in both light and shade.
Here the spot meter allowed me to actually measure the scene brightness
range, and to decide whether to expose for the highlights (and let the
shadow details go), or the reverse.  In these situations the incident
reading is very sensitive to the exact placement of the lumisphere (all in
sunlight, half in sunlight, etc.) I am beginning to believe that it is very
important to know both the strengths and the limitations of each metering
method, so you know which one to apply in a given situation. When you are
shooting candid people shots, searching for the decisive moment, there is no
chance to bracket, so you need to meter in advance and anticipate the light
your subjects will be in.

The DR Summicron held up perfectly well compared to the more modern lenses!
Of course student hand-held shots are not a great system test for optical
quality, but the color contrast in the Summicron shots was very pleasing.

One fellow student, upon seeing an interior shot that I had done with the
35/2 ASPH asked "how do you get such clear shots?".  This is the first time
I had seen someone react to a Leica slide in this fashion completely
unprompted. This student is an obvious candidate for Leica conversion, but I
wish there was a lower cost modern M compatible body that you could suggest
to people so they could get started on rangefinders without the tremendous
cost of even used Leica equipment.  (I think this would expand the market
for Leica lenses, and eventually improve the demand for Leica bodies, since
people could move up.)

Surprisingly, there was another gentleman at the workshop with a Leica--a
CL.  So including David, there were 3 LUGNUTs at the workshop.

All in all a most enjoyable Leica weekend.

Cheers,

Mark Davison
Seattle WA