Subject: Re: [Leica] Monaghan's thought on AF lenses
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:21:10 -0300

Dan:

Perhaps the problem for autofocus is to focus where there is lots of depth
of field like the typica f4-5.6 zoom.  The sensors measure contrast to
determine focus and are probably accurate with fast lenses, but less so
with slower lenses.  For example, I can focus my 180mm APO Summicron really
fast because it is either in or out of focus because of its shallow depth
of field.  I cannot focus the 105-280 zoom as quicly because the crossover
from in focus to out of focus is not as distinct.

Perhaps Erwin can give his thought on this?

Regards,

Robert