Subject: Re: OT Print dev, was [Leica] m2
From: Alan Brown <abrown@ncsi.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 00:16:14 -0500

>Mark Rabiner wrote:
>>Alan Brown wrote:
>>><snip>
>>> I also tried Mark Rabiner's suggestion of leaving the b+w print in the
>>> developer for 8 to 10 minutes with no agitation.  I got chemical fogging
>>> and mottling in the print but the shadows really were different and very
>>> interesting.><snip>
>>Nope, that wasn't me. Does sound a tad like something I would come up with
>>though. But no.
>>Mark Rabiner
>>

>I confess to having made this suggestion. What dev are you using Alan? Did
>you cover the tray to prevent safelight fogging?
>
>If anyone wants to see good examples of this technique, look at any of Tom
>(Thomas Joshua) Cooper's work.
>
>Regards,
>Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I was using Dektol 1:2 and printing some negatives with a new to me lens
and decided to try the 10 min, no agitation procedure.  I did cover the
tray with a larger tray.  I was in somewhat of a rush so didn't pursue this
method, but will later.  The print had a mottled chemical staining around
the edges that came in toward the center about 1/2 to one inch, but did not
come into the image.  The print was exposed at the same time I had used for
my standard 2 minute development.  The 10 minute print was, as I expected,
a little darker overall, but the shadows did not go black.  In fact, they
looked very rich.  I need to find the time to explore this further.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

I also have begun to use TFX-2 film developer from Photographer's
Formulary.  From the 3 rolls I have done so far (2 TMX and 1 TMY) I feel
the sharpness of this developer to be exceptional.  The TMX negatives were
also very smooth in tonality.  The TMY negatives were also very sharp (all
done with a 35mm Summicron at f11) and smooth but noticeably
grainier--almost like a Ralph Gibson print.  I'll be pursuing this further
as well.

If anyone has used this film developer and would like to share their
experiences please let me know.

Also, I just got my first M6 from Jim Kuehl last week.  It looks and
performs great.  He is really great to deal with.  Boy! I really like the
M6!

Sorry this got so long.

Regards,

Alan