Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic - the Nikon F5 on topic now
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:39:38 -0500

>I have been a Leica user for over 2 decades, with 2 M's and an R.  But when
>I tried the Nikon F5 in the store, I knew I want to own it.  It is such a
>well designed piece of equipment for taking pictures.  The feel of the
>camera in my hands was amazing.  No wonder it is a favorite camera for so
>many pro's. Compared to the Leica R8, the F5 is light years ahead.  As far
>as optics go,  several Nikor lenses are legendary in particular: the 24
>f2.8, 85 f1.8 and 105 f2.5.  The 24 f2.8 is even better than the Leica's.
>
>-Michael

Yes, those are pretty good lenses. So is their 20 as well as the 60 2.8
Macro and 105 Macro and others. I own or have owned the lenses you speak
of and lots more.
I have found that the 85 and 105 are quite sharp when stopped down a
couple of stops. They should be labeled and sold 85 2.8 and 105 2.8. This
is where they start to perform well. Wide open Leica glass is way better.
Compared to perhaps the 90 2.8 Elmarit M lense the Nikon glass is just
not there.
The F5 is wonderful. Leica glass is more wonderful.

Henry