Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic - the Nikon F5
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 07:19:10 +0000

Michael Yuen wrote:
>I have been a Leica user for over 2 decades, with 2 M's and an R.  But when
>I tried the Nikon F5 in the store, I knew I want to own it.  It is such a
>well designed piece of equipment for taking pictures.  The feel of the
>camera in my hands was amazing.  No wonder it is a favorite camera for so
>many pro's. Compared to the Leica R8, the F5 is light years ahead.  As far
>as optics go,  several Nikor lenses are legendary in particular: the 24
>f2.8, 85 f1.8 and 105 f2.5.  The 24 f2.8 is even better than the Leica's.

I am not too sure about the lens comparisons, but I am of the impression
that the current Nikon bodies are more advanced than the Contaxes or Leica
SLRs.  Moreover, the F90 and F100 are more suited to the smaller Asian
hands.  I have held the R8 and the Contax AX and found them oversized (and
I have fairly large hands for an Asian). The F5 is alas another bulky
camera.  After using Leica Ms and their beautifully ergonomic bodies, the
other cameras seem either too big, too angled, or too heavy.   My dream has
always been to be able to use a Leica R lens on my Nikon F90 body.

BTW, I heard that Kenko has come out with a Contax CZ SLR lens to Nikon
bodies adapter.

Dan K.

          Money is like fertilizer.  It is useless until it leaves your hand.