Subject: [Leica] I'm finally "complete"
From: Ericplatt@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:47:51 EDT

Well, I've finally found a stopping point in buying Leica gear.  I had gone
over the National Camera (in Minnesota) for their annual "Tent Sale".  I've
had good luck in the past on some small items, but nothing this year.  So as
not to make the day a total waste, I decided to drop in at the Shutterbug
section of the store (that's where the Leica gear hangs out).  I wanted to
see of they had a 35mm lens I would need.  Well, they did.  Yes, it's only
the 35/3.5, but for the amount of time I shoot wide angle, I feel it's good
enough.  While there, I also saw a beautiful 50/2 Coll.  Both that and the 35
had recently come back from getting a full CLA, i.e., no fogging!  So, I
ended up walking out with both those lenses.   Do I like them?  Yes.  I've
only shot one roll of chrome with them so I haven't seen the results, but if
they live up to how they look, they'll be very fine users.  This way I also
satisfy my lust at having a collapsable lens for my camera.

Now for the question, if the 50/2 turns out to be as nice as I feel it is,
should I consider selling my 50/2 DR?  It's a nice lens, but does have some
internal wipe marks on it, where it appears someone tried to clean the
fogging.   The photos taken with it appear quite acceptable.  I'm probably
being paranoid and overly concerned.  Any suggestions here?

Also, a plug for National Camera (the Shutterbug guys).  They are really
helpful and let me test the lenses out for what was probably quite a long
time.  They also have a whole slew of "toys" in there right now including an
M3 with s/n over 1,000,000 and a whole lot of screw mount bodies and lenses.

Thanks,

Eric Platt