Subject: Re: [Leica] Russar?
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 09:44:39 -0700

I've had about two dozen Russars over the years.   While most were excellent
lenses for the money, they never impressed me as approaching Leica or Zeiss
quality.

Quality of the Russian LTM lenses in my experience is all over the place.  I
once bought six lenses, and returned five of them five minutes later -- they
would not screw on a Leica IIIC!!   Quality control of the Contax mount Kiev and
its lenses, up to the the Kiev 5, seems to be better.

I've shot with the Heliars, and got better results with them than I got with the
Russars.   No, I am not saying they are Leica quality, but they are excellent
lenses.

I find Marc's negative comments on the quality of Heliar pics in the current
Viewfinder pics rather odd, since they are infinitely better than the only Marc
Small photographs I have -- the poorly done ones in his LTM book (or at least I
presume he did not hire a photog for them).

But then perhaps the problem is the printing reproduction.....in which case Marc
shouldn't be in such a hurry to judge a lens he has not shot.

Stephen Gandy