Subject: Re: [Leica] A little off topic: Brazil
From: Amilcar de Oliveira <amilcar@domain.com.br>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:52:01 -0300

I live in Rio. In my opinion, the main thing is not to call attention to
yourself. No showy camera bags, jewelry, watches and all that. Wear the standard
uniform of jeans, running shoes and a T-shirt (though the T-shirt will probably
give you away!) and try to go around in groups. Use a discreet bag for your
camera and lenses and get into the habit of presetting camera controls and
planning your shots before you take the camera from the bag. Put the camera back
on the bag right after you get your shots, don't walk around with it hanging
from your neck - much less two cameras! I remember a discussion about thieves on
this or some other list: they don't know or care about camera brands. All they
know is that a camera brings in money and they'll grab it if they can, no matter
if it's a Leica or a point and shoot. The same applies here. If I were you I'd
bring the M (more discreet than an R. Don't worry about the red spot because a
Leica is very, very rarely seen here) and a P&S for shooting when you feel you
are in a riskier place. Use taxis and not buses for getting around. Chances are
that you'll have no trouble, but if you are menaced, don't try to run or resist;
just deliver the camera quickly. Use the same common sense you use for shooting
in any big city. Have your equipment insured and don't worry too much, chances
are you'll have no trouble  (or the insurance companies wouldn't take your
custom - remember insurance is really betting). Brazillians aren't touchy about
being photographed. Don't worry too much and enjoy your stay. It's winter now,
meaning that temperatures may go from from 19 to 32 C, depending on what the
argentinian weather throws at us.

Cheers,

Amilcar