Subject: Re: [Leica] Minolta made R9
From: "Javier Perez" <japho@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:13:35 -0400

R9?

Who cares!

According to what I've heard, experimental CCD
technology is two thirds of the way to 25 Ektachrome
in terms of resolution. When it gets there, at a reasonable
price it's the end of photography as we know it.
With CCD, picture taking will start to look more like image
designing with each image corrected on a PC or perhaps even onboard
for color abberations and distortion and evenness of illumination
Lens designers will change their priorities away from striking a
balance between all parameters towards a design philosophy that stresses
resolution and to hell with everything else. (except speed) Infact
resolution
will be the sole parameter that CCD technology will not be able to
compensate for, except with cheat schemes like interpolation and contrast
expansion. Of course you'll be able to use the old wetzlar artillery with
CCD and might even be able to design or download all sorts of correction
schemes. Most of them don't require much more than mouse clicking and
some highschool algebra to produce. But you'll still be short on
resolution....
Other things will change too Motor Drives, Shutters, Databacks will all be
obsolete
Althoug the fP shutter may still be employed occasionally to produce the
motion effect!
ETA 5 years.
Now then,
Do we really care about the R9???
A lot of money for a potential CCD to lens coupler
with built in mirror box and focusing screen for which you won't be able to
get any film
ANYWHERE!
Also with the constantly size and price of ram everyone will be able totake
as many hirez
zillion color pictures as he she or it possibly can everyone will become a
fantastic
photographer and there will be much rejoicing

This also drive home the point that Leitz can only survive by servicing the
I/O
That's to say lennses and eventually color printers maybe projectors.

See Ya
Javier