Subject: [Leica] Re: elmarit R 90 and bokey
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:02:39 +0200

>Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:32:32 +0200
>From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Comments on 80/1.4R...
>
>Hi Jiri
>
>I now own a 75/1.4M, an 80/1.4R, a 90/2R, and I once owned a 90/2.8R (latest).
>
>Based on my limited experience I can say:
>
>The former three lenses are all excellent in terms of sharpness,
>flare-control, and bokeh.  But I did not like the bokeh of the 90/2.8R.
>
>A 75 and an 80 have similar fingerprints. They are both "Riesling grand cru"
>from different vineyards.  An 80 gives a bit more massive images (to my
>eyes) at middle apertures while it is softer at wide open.  However, as you
>know, I get a lot of soft images (out-of-focus!) with a 75/1.4 wide open.
>;-)
>
>The 90/2R gives a very comfortable images particularly in portraits.  I feel
>its character different from those of the 80 and 75.  It is "Pinot blanc".
>I would not accuse a person who likes a 90/2R better than the other two.
>
>BTW,  I have a 80/1.4R and a 90/2R in mint- conditions for sale.  Please
>refer to my Friday Sale post.  I have decided to downsize my modern R system
>and to live with Leicaflexes.  :-)
>
>Mikiro
>Strasbourg France

################
Bonjour Miriko,

I agree with you on the "bad" bokey of the Elmarit R-90, 2nd type. 19 years
ago, my first Leica lens was the 1st type, bought used.For me, that lens was
my favourite. I stupidly sold it for a Summicron R- 2/90 : bad bokey as the
bad bouquet of a bad Riesling wine.I sold the Summmicron some weeks after
buying it...
I bought, used, the Elmarit, 2nd type, and sold it 3 days after (with extra
income): "bad bokey" and the shade is too short.
Now I have again the first type, bought as new for peanuts.The bokey is as
good as a "Vendanges tardives" Gewürtztraminer.
As a lens taster, Mr Puts, could you one day compare the 2 types of
Elmarit-r lenses ?

In vino veritas.

Dominique Pellissier